Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ceiba speciosa or Silk floss tree

I told you yesterday. Today I will start with thorns. You can complain as much as you wish, but the thorns of the Ceiba trunk are... glory! No other tree saved me more times from ugly big animals... and kids.




Yes, definitely if you have kids at home rather you don't plant that tree in any accessible spot.
Well, OK, you can protect them by placing a fence or something around the trunk.



Yes it's tempting to plant it because it's probably one of the most beautiful flowering trees at Fairchild and elsewhere.




But be sure the fence can be extended. The Silk floss tree can grow up to 5 feet a year! So, better be prepared.



You know that I can barely read the signs and labels they put near the tree. But they make it even more difficult because suddenly they change names.



Until I think that was last year they called it Choirisia speciosa. One they they came and changed it! No explanations.



Anyway, It's beautiful! Isn't it?



I've often seen butterflies as well. I don't now its name though and I don't touch it. It's a bit to fat to my mouth and I fear to choke with it.



This one is pinker than the Ceiba insignis I posted yesterday. Which one do you like more?


No comments:

Post a Comment